Volume: 0.6 qt. over stock
Dimensions: Click here for dimensions.
This PML differential cover increases capacity to help lower the fluid temperature. A thick gasket flange and thick walls add strength to the differential housing and provide a uniform clamping force on the gasket surface for a secure seal. The cover features a drain hole, a fill hole, a level check hole, and an un-machined temperature sensor boss. Some Ford differentials have a factory fill location on the driveshaft side of the third member. Newer vehicles do not and can use the fill hole on the differential cover. For a temperature sending unit, PML can machine the boss under the level check. There is a machining charge and this option needs to be ordered over the phone.
This rear end differential cover fits many Ford trucks and SUVs. Some common applications are:
- Bronco, within in-line 6 302, 351 engines, 1987-1996
- Crown Vics, 1982-2005 (may also have 7½ differential)
- Explorer, 1991-2001
- F150, 1980 and newer (may also have 9¾ differential)
- E150, 1992 and newer
- Lighting, 1993-1995
- Marauder, 2003-2004
- Mountaineer, 1997 and newer
- Mustang, 1987-1995 (1996 to 2011 appear to have the same differential)
- Navigator (may also have Ford 7½ differentials)
- Ranger, 4.0 engine, 1989 and newer (other engine sizes, please check the PML Ford 7.5 differential cover)
- Mazda B4000, B2300 (may have other differentials)
Some of these vehicles may have other differentials so please check which differential your vehicle has and if you have clearance before ordering.
Some models may have the smaller Ford 7.5 differential, which is more rounder in shape and shorter (vertically). Other models have have the larger For 9.75 differential, which has a different shape and has 12 bolts. The Ford 8.8 stock cover is about 11 inches vertically and the 7.5 inch is about 9.75 inches vertically.
Check out our Ford 7.5 diff covers for pictures and more information if you have the smaller differential.
Check out our Ford 9.75 diff covers for pictures and more information if you have the larger differential.
This Ford differential cover is designed for non-IRS, REAR differential on Ford vehicles. Some 4WD F150 trucks have the 8.8 ring gear differential in the front but on the trucks we have seen there is not enough room for this cover. For vehicles with IRS, the linkage bolts on to the cover and PML differential covers are not compatible.
Note to Expedition owners: a larger cover may be too deep to clear the track bar that runs behind the differential cover. Using the dimensions, please check your vehicle for clearance before purchasing.
This video shows the installation of a PML cover on a Ford Ranger but the steps are generally applicable to most differential cover installations:
For a larger picture, please click one of the above images. A separate window will open showing a bigger picture. (The larger pictures take a minute to display.)
PML Differential Cover Features:
- Increased oil capacity for cooler temperatures
- Sand-cast aluminum with raised fins
- 3/16-inch thick wall construction to add strength to differential housing
- 3/8-inch thick gasket flange will not bend when bolts are tightened
- Machined gasket surface for a secure seal using RTV or factory reusable gasket
- Oil changes without removing the cover
- All hardware provided, including magnetic drain plug
Learn more about finishes and construction of PML parts.