Volume: 0.5 qts over stock
Dimensions: Click here for dimensions. A separate window or tab will open.
The PML cover for Ford trucks and SUVs has a traditional straight fin design. It adds capacity to help lower the differential fluid temperature. Thick walls and gasket flanges add strength to the differential housing and provide a uniform clamping force on the gasket surface for a secure seal.
See PML part number 9594 for a pattern fin design.
This rear end differential cover fits many Ford trucks and SUVs. Some common applications for the Ford 9¾ differential are:
- F150, 4.6 or 5.4 engine, 2003 and newer
- F150, 1997-2003, 5.4 engine (other engine sizes from 1997-2003, please see PML Ford 8.8 diff cover)
- Navigator, 1995-2006 can use this cover or the Ford 8.8 diff cover so check before ordering
- Lightning, 1999-2004 (clearance is very tight so use dimensions provided with link below to before ordering)
- Expedition, 1997-2002, 5.4 engine (check carefully for clearance)
Always check the vehicle to verify the differential and make sure there is clearance for a larger cover.
Drain, Fill, Level Check, Temperature Sending Unit
These PML differential covers have a drain hole on the bottom and include a magnetic drain plug.
There is a fill hole on top.
On the vehicles this cover was designed for there is a plug on the driveshaft side of the differential for level check (this can also be used for filling).
A boss on the differential cover can be machined for a temperature sending unit. PML has machine shop and charges $40 per hole.
Steve installed this PML rear differential cover on his 2013 F–150 V8 XLT SuperCrew 2WD. The installation was a simple bolt-on process. Even thought this cover is larger than stock, there were not any clearance issues.
The stock bolts with the brake line clips were re-used to maintain the brake line in its original location.Our thanks to Steve for installing our pan.
This video shows the step-by-step servicing of the rear differential and replacing the cover.
More photos of this installation are in our Facebook album. You do not need to join Facebook to view.
For a larger picture, please click one of the above images. A separate window will open showing a bigger picture. (The larger pictures take a minute to display.)
PML Differential Cover Features:
- Increased oil capacity for cooler temperatures
- Sand-cast aluminum with raised fins
- Thick wall construction to add strength to differential housing
- Thick gasket flange will not bend when bolts are tightened
- Machined gasket surface for a secure seal using RTV or factory reusable gasket
- Oil changes without removing the cover
- All hardware provided, including magnetic drain plug
Learn more about finishes and construction of PML parts.